Have you made one of the most important discoveries in life? The painful things we’d prefer to avoid in our lives can become stepping stones for growth. Most people, myself included, simply won’t change unless they have too. But then we encounter something that causes us to do life differently.
Here are a few things I’ve learned:
- God never abandons us, even when we can’t sense God’s presence.
- Our faith and character are developed most powerfully in times of adversity.
- God sometimes delivers us from pain, but more often he delivers us through it.
- When we trust God in difficult times, our stumbling blocks become stepping-stones of growth.
- When we face our deepest fears, our faith grows because we find God to be faithful.
- When doubts cloud our minds, it’s time to refocus on God’s grace, greatness, and wisdom.
- It’s such moments that grit, hope, and empathy are born.
Of course, all of this depends on one thing. We must choose to allow hardship to grow us. The alternative is that it becomes a cancer in our soul. This weekend I’m preaching a message from Paul’s letter to the Galatians on the benefits of Living in the Spirit. The heart of the message is found in chapters 4 & 5.